Friday, October 07, 2005

My wife opened the door into the garage last night and asked, “what is all that stuff under our bed?” I had to think for a minute. Oh she means the finished bowsprit, the main shrouds all shined up, coiled and tie-wrapped; the lowers, each prepared the same way; and the inner forestay. “Just some stuff for the boat,” I reply. She looks around the garage with a critical eye. It’s full of work benches, saws, power tools, wood, paint etc, with a fine layer of saw dust and epoxy dust everywhere. Her look says why in the world can’t they be stored out here. I tell her I’d be glad to move them to my closet that already holds the rolled up 135% genny, the new bagged main and canvas covers I want to keep and reuse. She relents and says it can stay under the bed, but the conversation gives me pause to consider where I am going to store everything I need to store as it is cleaned, refurbished and made ready to re-install on the Bristol. God what I’d give for a real boat shed, a nice steel building maybe 40x60 on a lot near a boat yard, near water, with a nice travellift I could use, say near St Pete or down near Ft Myers….keep on dreaming David…